Coast of Maine Sprout Island Organic Seed Starter 2CF Bag
Sprout Island Organic & Natural Seed Starter
Uses: Seed germination and starting root cuttings.
Made with lobster and crab shell meal, fish meal, kelp meal, and worm castings. This exceptional fertilizer will super charge the soil, giving all your plants a significant boost. It is also high in calcium (4%) and a range of macro and micro-nutrients to help improve plant vigor! OMRI listed.
Product Highlight Features:
- Promotes leafy green growth, budding, flowering & fruiting
- For containers, vegetable gardens, flower beds
- Great for replenishing soil between grows in your raised bed!
- Approved for organic growers
- NPK (5-2-4)
*We recommend cell packs sized 72 or larger.
Available in 8 Quart, 16 Quart and 2cf bags.
Target pH 6.2
The Coast of Maine difference
Here at Coast of Maine we are proud of the quality and consistency of our compost-based soils. Compost (naturally
decomposed organic matter), we believe, is the key ingredient. Ours are made using carefully designed and
tested recipes which include the very best ingredients (sustainably sourced from pristine ocean waters and local farms) combined with rigorous quality controls. We never use biosolids, municipal or household waste. Close attention to detail with frequent turning, sampling and testing plus a lengthy aging and curing process produces dark, rich compost that builds soil and enhances plant growth.
We use all natural ingredients
Sprout Island Blend™ Organic & Natural Seed Starter is hand-crafted to offer you what we believe is the best compost-based environment for germinating seeds and rooting cuttings.
Mycorrhizae provide increased water and nutrient absorption capabilities and help to strengthen root vitality. For more information about mycorrhizae visit our website at: www.coastofmaine.com/mycorrhizae
Store this bag in a cool, dry place, avoiding direct sunlight.
Information regarding the contents and levels of metals in this product is available at: http://www.aapfco.org/metals.html
Florida Dept. of Ag & Consumer Services fertilizer license F2755
Follow these few simple steps
*If using cell packs, Sprout Island is recommended for use in cell packs sized 72 or larger.
- Thoroughly moisten the mix with warm water before use. Make sure it is well mixed so that there are no dry areas but be sure not to make it too soggy.
- Fill the planting container to within 1/4 inch from the top and tap container to slightly settle the soil.
- Plant your seeds according to the directions on the seed packet.
- Water-in the seeds lightly without saturating the entire soil volume.
- Place in lighting and temperature conditions as per the seed packet.
- After the seeds have germinated, provide them with 12 – 14 hours of light per day, keeping them close to the light
source to prevent leggy growth.
- After 3 weeks, top dress with an organic plant food and water it in.
- Choose green, non-woody stems for taking tip cuttings.
- Use a scissor or razor blade that has been sterilized in alcohol to make a clean cut.
- Place the cutting on a flat, hard surface and make a clean slice through the stem on a slant.
- Remove all but 1 or 2 leaves.
- With a pencil or pointed object poke holes into the moistened seed starting soil.
- Dip the node end of the cuttings into water and then rooting powder if desired.
- Carefully place the cuttings into the holes you made in your seed starter soil and gently firm the soil around them.
- Place the container of cuttings into a plastic bag but don’t seal the bag completely, to allow some air flow.
- Place the bagged cell pack, tray, flat or other container in a warm spot but don’t put them into full sun until new growth appears and they can be removed from the bag.
- Check regularly to be sure there is not so much condensation on the top of the bag that it is dripping onto the seedlings. If this happens, the seed starter soil is too wet.
- Replace the bag and allow the soil to dry out a bit.
- Check your cuttings regularly in case they start to rot before they root. Remove any suspect cuttings as soon as you see rot.
- Once the cuttings have developed roots, they can be removed from the bag and planted into pots of their own filled with Stonington Blend™ Grower’s Mix or Bar Harbor Blend™ Potting Soil.
For organic production
Sprout Island Blend meets the organic production standards of the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) and is OMRI listed for organic production. Download the OMRI certification here.